In partnership with Your Best Credit Cards
Credit Cards That Earn American Express (Amex) Membership Rewards Points
Looking for a credit card that earns American Express Membership Rewards points?
Amex has a number of cards, both personal and small business, which earn valuable Membership Rewards.
We base our rankings below on the value of the points of each card by the amount of the bonus. Pretty simple! But there’s lots more to know about each card so be sure to click through to each card to learn more.
Advertiser Disclosure: Your Best Credit Cards has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Your Best Credit Cards and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Commissions do not affect or prioritize placement within our results and not all cards displayed earn us a commission. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
7 Cards Available:
Annual Fee: $695
Annual Fee: $695
A great card for flights and prepaid hotels earning 5x points, and for large expenses over $5,000 for 1.5x points. It earns:
- 5X Membership Rewards points on flights and prepaid hotels booked via AmexTravel
- 1.5X Membership Rewards points on any single purchase that is over $5,000
- 1.5X Membership Rewards at U.S. Construction material and hardware suppliers, Electronic goods retailers and software & at cloud system providers, and with Shipping providers
- 1X Membership Rewards points on other purchases
(1.5X purchases are capped at $2,000,000 in spend per calendar year.)
- Hilton Gold status (enrollment required)
- Marriott Gold status (enrollment required)
- Receive up to $100 as a statement credit every 4 years after you apply for Global Entry or every 4.5 years for TSA Pre✔®
- Access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection which includes Centurion, Delta, and Priority Pass Lounge access (enrollment required)
- Fine Hotels and Resorts benefits
- $200 airfare credit for incidentals like luggage fees on your chosen airline. (enrollment required). Terms apply.
- $200 in Dell statement credits twice annually, up to $400 total (Jan-June and July-Dec; Enrollment required / terms apply).
- Up to $120 a year in wireless credits; up to $10 per month, Enrollment required / terms apply.
- Up to $360 in Indeed credits ($90 per quarter; enrollment required, Terms Apply)
- Up to $150 in credits with Adobe on annual prepaid plans for eligible Creative Cloud for teams and Acrobat Pro DC with e-sign, enrollment required, Terms Apply.
- Up to $189 in fee credits for a CLEAR® airport security service plan. (Enrollment required; credit is a statement credit.)
Note: When displaying Estimated Rewards Values and calculations, this card is factoring in airline and hotels at 5x. This requires booking at AmexTravel.com and, if you do not, your earned rewards will change. Hotel bookings made via AmexTravel will generally not earn points or elite benefits.
Annual Fee: $695
Annual Fee: $695
The Platinum Card® from American Express is full of caché and its heavy metal design will catch more than a few looks. While the fee isn't small, you get a lot back in the form of statement credits and other perks and benefits.
Statement Credit Offers
- $200 in Uber credits annually ($15 per month with a $20 bonus in December)
- $100 in annual Saks Fifth Avenue shopping credits per year ($50 January-June and $50 July-December) as statement credits (Enrollment required)
- $200 in annual airline fee credits (as statement credits) for your chosen airline (Enrollment required)
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit which is good for up to $20 back each month on select digital subscriptions with Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times.(Enrollment Required)
- $200 Hotel Credit as statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, with a two night minimum stay, with American Express Travel. (Enrollment Required)
- $189 CLEAR® Credit as statement credits when you pay for your CLEAR® membership with your Card. (Enrollment Required)
- $300 Equinox Credit: Receive up to $300 back per calendar year in statement credits for purchases at Equinox. Valid for Equinox All Access, Destination, or E by Equinox membership fees, or for Equinox+. (Enrollment required)
- $300 statement credit when you purchase a SoulCycle At-Home Bike, up to 15x per calendar year. An Equinox+ membership is required to purchase a SoulCycle at-home bike and access SoulCycle content. Must charge full price of bike in one transaction. Shipping available in the contiguous U.S. only. (Enrollment required)
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: The cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership is covered with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. (Plus Ups are excluded.)
(All above offers require enrollment after you receive the card.)
You also get access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection, which includes the Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass, and Delta SkyClubs when you are flying Delta. (Enrollment required)
In addition, you get elite status in two hotel programs (enrollment required):
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
- Hilton Gold
While the Bonvoy Gold status is mostly good for small room upgrades and bonus points on stays, Hilton Gold confers free breakfast - a benefit that can really add up!
More Platinum Card benefits:
- Reimbursement (as a statement credit) for your Global Entry or PreCheck membership fees every 4 years.
- Secondary Car rental CDW/LDW collision/damage coverage
- Lost, damaged or stolen baggage insurance
- Extended warranty, purchase protection and return protection on covered purchases
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Access to the Platinum Concierge line
Cell phone protection:
Coverage for a Stolen or damaged Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone is subject to the terms, conditions, exclusions and limits of liability of this benefit. The maximum liability is $800, per claim, per Eligible Card Account. Each claim is subject to a $50 deductible. Coverage is limited to two (2) claims per Eligible Card Account per 12 month period.
- Eligibility and Benefit level varies by Card. Terms, Conditions and Limitations Apply.
- Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details.
- Underwritten by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.
NOTE: This card earns 5x on airfare and hotels, however, the airfare must be booked direct with the airline or at Amex Travel and the hotels must be prepaid at Amex Travel to earn 5x. Limit of up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. This site's Estimated Rewards Values will calculate all airfare and hotels at 5x points, so if your hotels are booked directly (which you generally need to do to earn hotel points and status/benefits) please note that they will not earn 5x and your actual rewards value will vary accordingly.
Annual Fee: $295
Annual Fee: $295
The American Express® Business Gold card is a powerful earner for business owners with high spend on the included bonus categories.
You will earn 4 points per dollar on any 2 out of 6 categories, automatically selected each calendar month based on which ones you spent the most on, up to $150,000 per year. Terms apply.
Categories include airfare purchased directly with airlines, US advertising and media, US gas stations, US hardware/software/cloud computing services, US restaurants, and US shipping.
Our page on the Amex Business Gold Card has the American Express definition of hardware, software, and cloud computing merchants.
Also, get a 25% rebate on airfare booked American Express Travel using Membership Rewards. Applies to all First/Business Class tickets and economy tickets with your one selected airline, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year. Terms apply.
Annual Fee: $250
Annual Fee: $250
Is the American Express® Gold Card the best card for dining and groceries?
The Gold Card offers 4x Membership Rewards points at restaurants (including U.S. takeout and delivery) and at US supermarkets (up to $25,000 a year; 1X thereafter), as well as 3x on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
And at long last, American Express is once again offering both new and existing cardholders the opportunity to get the Rose Gold version of the Gold Card. (Simply select it when applying.)
It also offers $20 in monthly dining statement credits - $10 monthly at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations. Enrollment and $10 in Uber Cash each month. Enrollment required / terms apply.
(Note that the airline incidental credits will no longer be offered after 2021 and are no longer available to new applicants.)
While many Amex bonus categories are US-only, this card earns 4x on restaurants, including internationally.
American Express defines a supermarket as offering a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies. (Superstores, convenience stores and warehouse clubs are NOT considered supermarkets.)
It's also important to note that as a card product that American Express used to classify as "charge" - meaning that it has No Preset Spending Limit - so it is not counted against your 5 Amex credit card limit. The Gold Card will still be in the category of cards (former charge products) in which you can have up to 10. Those include the Green, Gold, Platinum, and Centurion.
Annual Fee: $150
Annual Fee: $150
The biggest feature of this card is 3X American Express Membership Rewards points on Travel, Transit and Dining.
The new Amex Green card also comes with a few annual credits:
- $189 credit towards a CLEAR membership for expedited airport security lines.
- $100 credit to Lounge Buddy (airport lounges - a competitor to Priority Pass lounge access
Note: All information about the Green Card has been collected independently by Your Best Credit Cards. The American Express® Green Card is no longer available as an affiliate offer but another offer link is being provided for your convenience.
Annual Fee: $0
Annual Fee: $0
Highly Recommended: Earn 2x Membership Rewards points on everything with The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express - up to $50,000 per year. This is a great card to use when your expense doesn't correspond to a bonus category on any of your other cards.
Intro 0% APR - 0% introductory APR on purchases for 12 months, then 17.49% - 25.49% (Rates and Fees)
Annual Fee: $0 Introductory Annual Fee for the first year, then $95
Annual Fee: $95
This card earns 2X Membership Rewards points on all purchases made through the American Express Travel website.
Earns 1X points on everything else.
Until this card gets its benefits refreshed like many other Amex cards have been recently, we recommend these other credit cards that earn Membership Rewards points:
- Business Platinum Card from American Express
- American Express Business Gold Card
- Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express
All information about the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express has been collected independently by Your Best Credit Cards. The Business Green Rewards Card from American Express is no longer available through Your Best Credit Cards.
Chase Ink Preferred
Here’s how we calculated your Rewards Value:
Point Value X Multiplier = Rewards Value
Here’s how we calculated your Bonus Value:
Point Value X Bonus = Bonus Value
Don’t Miss Out On Limited time Offers
Credit card companies regularly offer limited time increased signup bonus offers on their credit cards. They also sometimes change card benefits or otherwise change up their card lineups.
Sign up for the YourBestCreditCards.com newsletter and you’ll never miss out again.
Dave’s spent the last 15 years traveling the world in first class using his miles and points. After analyzing the unique credit card spending habits of thousands of MilesTalk readers over the years, he developed YourBestCreditCards.com.